Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring J.R. Tolkien 6 points

 I've seen the movies for both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, countless times, but I've never actually read any of the books. I listened to the audiobook that was linked to the reading list profile because I didn't have the time to actually sit down and read it separately from my other work. I have to say, listening to an audiobook for the first time was a little odd, especially sitting in the labs in Kimbrough, where I had to pause it every now in then and rewind it a little bit because the language is a little confusing when I don't have the words in front of my face. 

The amount of times the book utilizes the word queer is impeccable, I  think I listened to it way over 30 times within the first two hours (not sure how many chapters it is because they never really gave chapter numbers through the reading). I think what draws me to the large fantasy world of Middle Earth is how it plays to my sense of adventure. I've always had a very active imagination, hence I always felt like my life was a little mundane. 

I had a hard childhood growing up and I didn't have many friends, so I spent a lot of time alone. I played imaginary exploration games by myself and I read a lot of fantasy books. I love the comradery in fantasy books so, in a sense, I replaced the relationships I didn't have with the ones I was reading about. Overall, The Lord of the Rings does a good job at expressing relationships between people, and though it was almost too wordy, I really liked understanding the ins and outs of the characters. 

I liked the book, but, it is very wordy and sometimes the long descriptions get a little confusing. Sometimes I would forget who the descriptions were being said about or just not understand it at all until like the second time I read it. The journey that Frodo, Merry, Sam, and Pippin take is really interesting and I love all the little twists that happen along the way, like when Frodo was singing the song at the inn and vanished in front of the audience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly 6 Points

Bable-17 Samuel R Delay 5 points

Final Future Tense 4 points